One of the "must do" things in Chiang Mai. There is a women's prison toward the center of town that offers Thai massages at good prices. And you know its going to be a good massage, because if you complain, the warden will throw them in the hole for a month!
But really, we heard its a program where they try to teach a new, legal trade the ladies about to come up for parole. the prison center also sells different crafts and such. I wasn't sure how a massage would be with all those prison bars and a lady in a black and white jumpsuit, but hey, its cheap....
We were pleasantly surprised when we got there. It was actually a really nice facility next to the actual prison with cold A/C (so important for this time of year) and the prisoners were dressed in traditional thai clothing. For my massage, I had a 90 pound girl that trouble twisting me in the "stretching" moves, and had tiny bony knees that killed my back when she jumped on. And I think her and another girl were laughing at the money belt when she was massaging my back (you change into these thai pajamas for the massage, but no way I was taking off the money belt. I wore that thing all through Europe. I think I even wore that one to the beach once. thanks yuvette, I'm permanently scarred.. paranoid that foreigners are always after my loot)
But overall, its was really relaxing, and for $5/hr, I could have sat there all day. Jenny had a good one too. Her masseuse was a lady named "meow" (according to her, "meow, like cat.. MEOW"), who had a hard time communicating with Jenny. The other conversation I heard went like this
Jenny: I am feeling a bit sick
Meow: when i sick, I eat duck
Jenny: huh? duck? like quack, quack?
Meow: oh.. sorry. drug.
So it was such a good deal, I went back on the last day for another massage. A new prisoner this time. And this time, the massage was no joking matter. She came to bring the pain, whereas the first one was more like a nice, polite massage, this girl jumped right in and did not hold back. There was no reaction from her to my grunts and squeals, and my back was cracking loud enough that the australian guy getting a massage in the same room woke up to see what was happening. Made me think the first girl was in for something like check fraud... but the second was definitely in for assault... or multiple assaults.
Funny thing is.. all the girls in the prison massage center were pretty, young, and very innocent looking. Not what I would expect for hardened criminals. But what about the tough looking biker chicks with tattoos? are they even given a chance to be in this program? or are they automatically put on the basket weaving team?.
1 comment:
"when I sick I eat duck"....hilarious!
Post a Comment